Hay Fever Season is Here: Learn More, Find Relief at LiveLife Pharmacy
Posted on October 18, 2018
An estimated one in three Australians will develop allergies at some time during their lives, and one of the most common forms of allergies is hay fever. Technically known as allergic rhinitis, hay fever involves an inflammation of the nose. Hay fever may be perennial, with symptoms present throughout the entire year, or it may be seasonal, hitting only in spring and summer.
What Causes Allergies?
Allergic reactions occur when a person’s immune systems reacts to a harmless substance as if it were dangerous. The body launches an attack on the substance, resulting in inflammation of the nasal passage and the creation of excess mucus. Additional symptoms can affect the eyes, throat, sinuses and ears.
Different people may be susceptible to different types of allergens, and some of the most common include:
- Insects, such as dust mites, ticks, bees and venom from wasps
- Animal dander
- Food, such as peanuts, shellfish, eggs and milk
- Medicine and chemicals, such as antibiotics or latex rubber
How Hay Fever Affects the Nose (and Body)
When your nose is affected by hay fever symptoms, it can have an effect on your sense of smell, speech, the effectiveness of your breathing and the quality of the air you inhale. That’s because the nose serves five essential functions.
- Works as an airway to help with breathing
- Moistens and warms air entering the body
- Filters inhaled air, cleansing it of foreign substances
- Serves as a resonating chamber for speech
- Houses olfactory receptors, which provide sense of smell
How to Treat Hay Fever
Treating hay fever involves alleviating the symptoms, with different treatment options based on the exact symptoms from which you may be suffering. LiveLife Pharmacy stocks a wide range of allergy treatments, and our pharmacist is happy to help you find one that suits your needs.
Visit the LiveLife pharmacist at Noosa Village Centre today.